Holiday Safety Tips

With Christmas less than two weeks away, the Kern County Fire Department and Pacific Gas and Electric Company want to keep your family safe from fires at home this holiday season.

With awareness and minor adjustments to cooking and decorating, the holiday season can remain festive and safe for everyone, PG&E said.

Cooking Safety

  • Start with a clean oven to reduce the risk of a grease fire.
  • Clear the range of anything flammable including dish towels, pot holders, and recipe cards.

Electrical Safety

  • Avoid overloading extension cords and wall sockets by following the manufacturer's limits for the number of light strings that can be safely connected together.
  • Check all light strands for cracked or broken plugs, frayed insulation or bare wires. Worn cords can cause fires, so discard damaged sets of lights.
  • Don't place cords under rugs, furniture or other appliances. If covered, cords can overheat or become frayed, increasing the risk of fire.
  • Always turn off decorative lights-indoors and outdoors-when leaving the house and before going to bed.
  • Do not place your holiday tree near a heat source such as a fireplace or heat vent. The heat will dry out the tree, making it more susceptible to fires caused by heat, flame or sparks.

Save Energy

  • Light-Emitting Diode (LED) lights consume 75 percent less energy than traditional incandescent lights, helping customers save money on their energy costs during the holiday season.
  • LED lights produce almost no heat, making them safe to touch and greatly reducing the risk of fire.
  • LED lights are also break resistant and shock resistant.

PG&E and the Kern County Fire Department also encourage residents to create a household emergency preparedness plan and share the plan with house guests this holiday season.


More Stories

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Latest News

Video Center