BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - Kern County Animal Services is warning pet owners of the possibility of heat stroke in their beloved pets after efforts to save one overheated dog failed this morning.
Kern County Animal Services veterinarians worked tirelessly to save the life of a 2 year old pitbull named Stetson.
The dog was brought in by an animal control officer yesterday afternoon suffering from heat stroke.
"When the officer brought the dog in he was unresponsive, like literally floppy. His temperature was 105.9. He was panting very heavily and he obviously had signs of heat prostration or heat stoke," registered veterinary technician Jennifer Herron said.
You can see in the video that was posted on Kern County Animals Services Facebook page the staff covered Steton in ice bags, gave him fluids, and continually checked his body temperature.
But, he was already too sick and did not make it.
"We as humans can take off layers to cool down adjust for the heat or can wear shoes that kind of protect us from the heat. Pets don't have that ability and so they are relying on you to protect them at all time from heat," Julie Johnson with Kern County Animal Care Center said.
Some signs to look for if you are worried your pet may be suffering from over heating include vomiting, they become lethargic, their eyes are glazed over or they are leaving paw prints with out having walked through water.
Johnson says some ways to help keep your dog cool this summer are freezing peanut butter in an ice tray and letting your pet lick on it as a cool treat, buying a pop-up tent to provide shade for your outside animals and making sure your pets have clean, cool drinking water throughout the day.
California City police raided two homes Wednesday night suspected as…
A local man is gearing up for his second fight with leukemia and his…
Bakersfield Republican Assemblymember Vince Fong is taking the next…